Top Practical Applications Of PHP And Steps To Carve A Career In The Field
Excerpt: This article is going to be very useful to enhance your knowledge, and also you will get to see an ultimate guide to carve a carrier in the field.
If you wanted to become a developer in the software industry then you must know how to code. And as you know, there is not only one programming language in the market, and just because of this, most beginners get confused about what language I should start learning so that I can boost my career quickly. So here is the solution to your problem; that is “PHP”. PHP is a server-side programming language that is widely used for web development and used for many business purposes.
Table of Contents:
- What is a PHP programming language?
- Objectives of PHP
- Why learn PHP programming language?
- Top practical applications of PHP
- Steps to carving a career in the PHP field
- Skills required to be a PHP developer
- The ultimate guide to starting a career in PHP
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is a PHP programming language?
- PHP is a widely used scripting and server-side programming language used for web development and mostly for business applications.
- PHP stands for “Hypertext Processor” that was created by “Rasmus Lerdorf” in 1995.
- The PHP programming language can be efficiently embedded in HTML to work as a front-end developer.
- This language is a very versatile, object-oriented, and open sources programming language that is available for everyone.
- The code of PHP is executed on the server, and the result is sent to the browser in plain HTML form.
- The extension for the PHP file has an extension with “.php”
Objectives of PHP:
- PHP can be used to develop dynamic pages and control user access.
- PHP encrypts the data and also collects the form data.
- It can send and receive cookies, add, delete, modify data in a specific database.
- PHP is used to develop, open, read, write, close, and delete the files on the webserver.
- Using PHP, you can also get images, videos, PDF files as an output.
Why learn PHP programming language:
Almost 79.1% of the websites are based on PHP because it has lots of benefits and some of them are listed below:
- Easy to use and simple to learn:
- The PHP programming language is contemplated as the easiest and fastest scripting language to learn. PHP syntax and other contents don’t need very complex and deep study. The Syntax is very easy and flexible.
- Database connectivity: PHP is developed on the module so that IT can easily establish the connectivity with the database. Most software applications, websites need the database connection to work as intended. PHP can manage the database with a strong system.
- Open Source: PHP is a free and open-source platform. This means that the users of PHP don’t need any license or permission to use it. Any kind of modification can be done in the source code to make use of a specific objective. All the tools and properties of PHP are easily available for the users without any restriction of using it.
- Platform Independent: The best part of this language is that it is platform-independent. It supports all the Operating Systems like Windows, Linux, Unix, etc., and doesn’t have any demand for any specific platform to execute. Any web application which is coded in PHP language can be efficiently run on any operating system. In this way, this also saves efforts and time to rebuild any application to run on a specific platform.
- Maintenance: If you have any concerns about the maintenance of your PHP code then you don’t have to worry about it anymore. Because there are different architectures, modules and frameworks are available for the user to maintain the code efficiently. This feature of PHP makes the development procedure easy and fast.
- Security: PHP offers such kinds tools and frameworks that also provide web applications and prevent illegal attacks. These attacks can include SQL injection, Data tempering, Forgery, etc. PHP frameworks are very secure to use and protect from threats, these threats make the developers work in risky environments any damage can occur to the existing data and the application.
Top practical applications of PHP:
- Web-based Applications: PHP language is used to develop both static and dynamic web pages and web applications which demand top-level customization and a highly interactive user interface. Web-based applications also need great and strong connectivity with the database which is provided by PHP. PHP works linearly on three-tiered architecture which provides all these functions to the developers. Varieties of web applications and Facebook application is also developed using the PHP language. And due to its open-source feature, all the developer is free to use it and have no concern about buying a license, most of the websites and web applications are based on PHP.
- Web Content Management Systems: PHP can establish a very strong connection with the database like Oracle, MySQL, MS Access, etc., and is designed to work with other services based on certain protocols like HTTP, LDAP, POP3, IMAP, NNTP, SNM, etc. PHP is used to manage small static websites and also large websites based on content like CMS (Content Management System). Drupal, Joomla, Facebook, MediaWiki, Silverstripe, and Digg are also based on PHP. A very well-known content-based platform WordPress is also managed by using PHP. Through the help of different libraries and frameworks, the contents of the websites can be managed very efficiently.
- eCommerce Application: Ranging from small businesses to large companies, PHP’s framework is booming everywhere. Frameworks like CakePHP and Codelgniter are being used widely for developing eCommerce applications smoothly and efficiently. Well-known eCommerce platforms like Magento, OpenCart, Zen Cart, PrestaShop, AgoraCart and Ubercart, etc. are all based on PHP.
- GUI Based Applications: Here are some tools that enable scripting in PHP are PHP-GTK 2 and ZZEE PHP GUI, which compiles PHP into .exe that will run on its. PHP can be also used for developing the desktop Graphical User Interface (GUI).
- Image processing and Graphic design: Numerous PHP image processing libraries like Imagine, GD library, ImageMagick can be compiled to the PHP applications. This allows the image processing features, manipulating images, rotating, cropping, resizing, watermarks, thumbnails pictures, and much more. Different types of formats are also available for images including jpeg, gif, wbmp, XMP, png, etc. Php is used to develop robust applications and websites.
- Data Representation: Data representation plays a very vital role to attract the user towards the website and enhance the popularity of the application. The PHP programming language offers numerous data representation forms like Images, Graphs, Charts, etc. which makes the data more representable and simple. Client-side eCommerce websites, desktop applications, and different software can be designed by using this feature which will attract more audience and will enhance your business.
- Authorization System: Most of the online stores, bookshops, payment gateway, ticket counters need the authorization of the user before preceding the next step. This functionality is provided by the PHP programming language. The authorization of the user has become mandatory for the websites to protect against fake users and attacks. That is why the developers seek the authorization features and all the tools and frameworks of PHP are helping to meet the secure website creation.
Here are a few steps to carve a career in this field:
To get started with the PHP firstly you need to enhance your knowledge in this. Go for the detailed study and requirements for this field. So here are a few requirements to polish your PHP knowledge:
Skills required to be a PHP developer:
- Obviously should be at an advanced level in PHP programming language
- Good knowledge of Ajax, jQuery, and databases like MySQL.
- Advanced level knowledge of LINUX/UNIX/ and MVC framework.
- Should know about open source web frameworks and PHP unit testing frameworks.
- Know how to operate Photoshop or any similar design-based tool.
- Most important a very good communication skill
- The skill of problem-solving
- Ability to think in critical phases.
- Knowledge of web development tools like TypeScript, CodeKit, WebStorm, Creative Tim, Angular JS, etc.
An ultimate guide to starting your career in this PHP field:
- Get an appropriate Degree: At least you should have the degree of bachelor before you get into this field. Although this is not the mandatory requirement to become a PHP developer but this qualification will provide you the opportunity to apply at different companies. However, it is beneficial to complete any degree like B.tech, BCA, MCA, M.Tech, etc. from a good college because this is going to reflect your qualification at first sight.
- Learn PHP: Learn the PHP language in detail as much as you can. Clear all the theoretical portion first along which implementing it practically because this is not something theory-based. You can utilize numerous resources like ebooks, youtube, top PHP websites, and much more. Try to do smart learning. Build PHP base with knowledge of extra frameworks, architectures, latest technologies, etc. Don’t stick to just one IDE, try to work on different IDE environments as well. And you can achieve all these skills just by practicing again and again.
- Build Projects: Projects are something that reflects your level of thinking, capacity, potential, and creativity so don’t avoid this. The majority of students and beginners just keep learning but don’t build any projects that is why they are not very skilled and productive. Don’t straightly jump to complex projects. First, start with something simple and demanding like you can build projects on Hotel Management, Weather Apps, Online shopping apps, A personal blog, A to-do list app and there are numerous projects models and ideas are available online. Once you will start completing these projects, you will gain confidence in the go-ahead for a little bit complex projects that will add more shine to your PHP skill.
- Get Certified: Certification is something that ensures your qualification. So get certified from some relevant PHP platforms. Udemy and Coursera are some courses, apart from this you can go with several online certification programs, institutions to get your certification done. Different certifications will enable you to know your level and working experience with PHP. The most beneficial thing about getting certified is that it will enhance the value of your resume and get selected over students who have not pursued any certification courses.
- Crack the Job interview: Here comes the most difficult part for the students. But honestly, this is not as complex as others think. Since you are now learned PHP, its Frameworks, worked on different projects, and get certified, now it’s time to apply for the job and crack the interview to actual inter in the world of developers and software industry. During the interview, you will be asked different questions based on your theoretical and practical knowledge based on different levels. You have to answer them very confidently without any confusion. Do check out PHP interview questions and answers
After clearing the interview you are ready to start your journey as a PHP developer.
Is there a good demand for PHP developers?
PHP programming language has various unique features which don’t have any other language that is why most of the websites are still coded in PHP language, and to develop websites or web applications, PHP developers are required. Since the digital market is bombarded with different and latest websites, applications, and software on daily basis, as the software market is increasing, the demand for PHP developers is increasing in a massive amount. Therefore the competition in the market for PHP-based jobs is catching up to speed.
What are the responsibilities of PHP developers?
- A PHP developer is responsible for the back-end coding of any website, app, or software.
- They produce very detailed specifications in the coding.
- Responsible for Troubleshooting, testing, and maintaining the base of the software and database.
- They contribute to all the different phases of the development lifecycle of any software or web application.
- They ensure the functionality and optimization of the software product with their coding.
Due to numerous advantages and features of the PHP programming language, Its application is also increasing. Ranging from small companies to large software developing companies, everyone is using PHP for most of the websites and software to work amazingly. The demand for PHP developers is also not holding back. In this article, we have provided almost all the basic knowledge about PHP, its advantages, how you can get into this field, skill requirements to be a good PHP developer, etc. We hope that you got all the answers garaging your problem on the PHP programing language.
This article is Contributed By Amruddin Shaik
Amruddin Shaik is a Digital Marketer and Content Contributor, Who is working with MindMajix, a top global online training provider. He is a tech enthusiast and have a great understanding of today’s technology. Having an In-depth knowledge of IT and demanding technologies such as Software Testing, Business Intelligence, Snowflake, Salesforce, Cyber Security and Software testing etc.